What does Retin-A do?
Tretinoic acid is a form of prescription Vitamin A which goes by different names such as Epiduo, Retin-A, Dr. Anita PM Cream and Renova. These products are not the same as Retin-ol which is a larger molecule with an -OH attached that makes Retin-ol difficult to penetrate the skin.
Therefore is bought over the counter without a prescription.Different formulations of Retin-A are used to improve the appearance, thickness and texture of the skin, as well as to improve acne.
Our skin acts as a protective barrier that does not allow many chemicals and pollutants to enter. For example, most Vitamin C creams are unstable and do not enter the skin.
However, for unknown reasons, the skin has special Vitamin A receptors on its surface that allows such compounds to enter the dermis, simulate micro-injury and stimulate collagen.
Since this product enters into the skin and changes the skin, it is not a cosmetic but a prescription medicine. Double blind scientific studies show this is the best topical for wrinkles. The anti-aging properties of vitamin A were discovered during treatment trials for psoriasis and acne.
Why is collagen so important?
Collagen is a fibrous foundational protein which makes up 70% of our skin. It is composed of amino acids such as hydroxyproline, lysine and glycine. Unfortunately, ingestion of these acids has never been shown to improve collagen production as the collagen protein breaks down in the stomach.
There are a few ways to stimulate production and to build collagen including topical Vitamin A. Increasing collagen production is important because age related decline in collagen synthesis as seen by sun-damage, menopause and our lifestyle choices is partly responsible for signs of skin aging such as thinning, wrinkles and sagging.. Any injury to the skin stimulates collagen production which calls cells called fibroblasts to lay down small deposits of collagen matrix to strengthen the skin. The balancing act is how to get an un-noticeable micro injury on a regular basis without redness or downtime.
Retin-A also produces a mild, superficial peel on both the superficial (epidermis) and the deep (dermis) parts of the skin. Contrary to popular myths, Retin-A does not thin the skin; it thins the outer dead layer, or stratum corneum thereby making the skin more permeable. As the fibroblast place their collagen bricks down, the overall thickness of the epidermis is INCREASED and the epidermal cells are also more active. The results are thicker, glowing more youthful healthy appearing skin.
PM Cream and vitamin A products are so important; Dr. Anita skincare line was formulated to help you use the most important anti-aging topical, PM cream with Retin- A. Every informed consumer should insist on using some form of vitamin-A.
Please do not give up because of past experiences. Allow us to help you use the best anti-aging topical cream. You will thank me in 20 years.
Dr. Anita Skincare Rejuvenation Program
To smooth the surface of the skin, to promote collagen formation to maintain a healthy natural refreshed look, follow these easy steps:
- Wear sunscreen daily and practice good sun-safe habits. We suggest Dr. Anita Remember Me no tears sunscreen. Don’t use Drugs or smoke. Don’t drink excessive alcohol. Get 8 hours of sleep. Prayer, Yoga, regular exercise. Eat a. Low Carbohydrate low inflammatory diet. Watch more comedies than tragedies
- Wash your face with tap water and non-soap cleanser twice a day. We suggest Dr. Anita Foam Me cleanser
- Moisturize daily with Dr. Anita Counter Intelligence. This time saving combination of an anti-aging, brightening, serum and moisturizer allows you to use Retinoids -without the red, drying effects. Counter Intelligence was formulated to increase compliance by decreasing drying side effects in people using Vitamin A medications
- At night, apply Tretinoic acid prescription or Dr. Anita PM Cream (Tretinoic Acid) as follows:
- Rinse your face with tap water and pat dry. Wait 5 minutes.
- Apply a small pea-sized amount of PM Cream to each of the regions of your face. This is not a moisturizer so apply a thin layer. Be careful to keep away for corners of mouth and nose where chapping is more likely to occur.
- Right and left forehead
- Right and left area around the eyes (avoid contact with the eye itself)
- Upper lip and lower lip
- Jaw region
- Massage in well
When starting Vitamin A treatments, begin with this application schedule:
- Two nights per week for two weeks
- Three nights per week for three weeks
- Five nights per week for three weeks
- Nightly thereafter as tolerated for maintenance
- If redness, peeling, or irritation develops, discontinue use. Always apply moisturizer the day after using PM Cream or Retin-A. After the skin has settled down, CONSIDER starting again more gradually. We are here to guide you. Usually with time the skin can tolerate nightly use. You will see results in about 3 months. Please call us with any questions.
- To stay hydrated, we recommend using SOS transparent moisture mask and Counter Intelligence – Use these products every morning and the nights that PM cream is not used. SOS is a clear mask that can be left on and can serve as a rescue treatment or part of a daily maintenance program especially in wintery climates. Do not use moisturizers or anything product at the same time as Retin-oid products. Vitamin A PM Cream is always a solo act- never shares the stage with any other product.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Retin-A should NOT be used 3 days prior or 3 days following any laser treatment. Wait until the skin is completely healed and any scabs have completely fallen off. Lastly, Retin-A can only be used on completely DRY skin, if your skin is damp or wet when Retin-A is applied, the skin may become chapped, raw and very irritated.
- Platelet rich plasma facial micropen treatments every few months to maintain active collagen activation.
- Ultherapy Orange transducer glow treatment every 6 months.
- Dorian Gray peels every 3 to 4 months with Tretinoic acid.
- Anita skincare for the best anti-aging maintenance and prevention.
To learn more about Retin-A treatment or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Anita click here!
Dr. Anita Skincare products
Because Dr. Anita Skincare products are heavily tested, they’re proven to provide effective, lasting results… Read More